Air Source Heat Pump Grants in Wales, using the new Government Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) plus extra potential funding in Wales
The UK Government has said that “the Boiler Upgrade Scheme from April 2022 is to encourage homeowners to install low carbon heating systems, and that the Grant will help homeowners to overcome the upfront cost of low carbon heating technologies.”
NB. We also have access to additional funding for Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP’s) in Wales. This can be used in tandem with the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. This could mean that the total cost of installing an ASHP would be covered. *
*To qualify for the additional funding you must satisfy the following criteria
- 1. You will not qualify for the extra funding if your property has an EPC rating of A, B or C.
- 2. There has never been a “wet” central heating system at the property, at any point in the past.
- 3. You are in receipt of a qualifying benefit, or you satisfy the criteria set under the Local Authority Flexible Funding scheme in your area.
- 4. If the walls of the property are cavity walls, then they must be insulated. There are allowable exceptions.
- 5. If there is a loft space which is assessible, then it must be insulated.
When will the Boiler Upgrade Scheme Wales start?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme started in April 2022.
There is enough Boiler Upgrade Scheme Grant funding to install 90,000 Air Source Heat Pumps across England & Wales .
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme is scheduled to run for 3 years – that’s 30,000 Air Source Heat Pumps per year, and ONLY 30,000 per year.
How much is the Boiler Upgrade Scheme Grant?
You would qualify for the following:
You would receive £5,000 off the cost of installing an Air Source Heat Pump.
We have access to additional funding for Air Source Heat Pumps. If you qualify for this funding it should cover the shortfall.
You would receive £5,000 off the cost of installing a Biomass Boiler *
You would receive £6,000 off the cost of installing a Ground Source Heat Pump
* The Biomass Boiler is only available in rural areas and in homes that are not connected to the Mains Gas Grid.
How do I qualify for a Boiler Upgrade Grant?
You will qualify for a Boiler Upgrade Grant if:
1. You live in Wales or England
2. You own your property
3. Your property has an installation capacity up to 45kWth, which covers the vast majority of homes
5. “New Build” properties will not normally qualify. However, if you are “building your own home”, that will qualify.
6. You must be fully replacing your existing fossil fuel system, i.e. Oil, Electric or Gas (including LPG)
*If your property does not have an EPC, we can do one for you.
** There are insulation exemptions.
You will not qualify for a Grant to replace an existing low carbon heating system.
What is an Air Source Pump?
An Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) is a bit of kit that looks like an Air Conditioning Unit, and works like a fridge in reverse.
An ASHP extracts heat out of the surrounding “air”. It intensifies the heat and transfers it into your home, where it heats the water (usually through a well insulated hot water cylinder).
It can extract heat from the surrounding air at temperatures as low as minus 18 degrees Celsius.
So, your fuel is the Air around you, it may not be fresh air, but it is FREE. And it won’t run out – if it did, well it wouldn’t matter would it.
The Air Source Heat Pump is powered by electricity.
Are Air Source Heat Pumps expensive?
Yes, it would probably cost between £8,000 and £12,500.
It’s a bit like buying a car. Do want an expensive make or a cheaper make? Do you want a car for a family of 6, or a family of 2? Will you need a hot water cylinder? Will all of your existing radiators need to be changed? And so on …
A complete survey of your property would be carried out and that would lay out all of the potential options and the cost.
There is the Boiler Upgrade Scheme grant of £5,000, so that would reduce the prices to £3,000 and £7,500.
If you qualify for the additional grant in Wales, which is up to £4,000, you could be getting it FREE. At the top end it would be costing £,3,500.
An ASHP should last twice as long (20 – 25 years) as a normal gas boiler.
There are also grants in Wales for Solar Panels (subject to qualification) which could give you some free electricity which would reduce the cost of running the ASHP.
Will an Air Source Heat Pump be good in my home?
Does an Air Source Heat Pump take up a lot of space?
Do I need to insulate my home first and do I have to pay for that?
What are the benefits of have an Air Source Heat Pump installed?
What are the disadvantages of have an Air Source Heat Pump installed?
How do I find out more about the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
Give us a call now on 0800 8 10 10 60 or 07960 799681 and speak to an expert adviser